Has anyone been disappointed with the new 80-400?

Started Mar 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472
Re: Has anyone been disappointed with the new 80-400?

NikonManSoCal wrote:

My initial reaction to this lens on release was negative (based solely on what I consider insane MSRP pricing for a relatively slow variable aperture lens) - I am now considering picking one up during the rebate period (even with the rebate the lens is the same cost as the 70-200 VRII). Most reviews here and on professional photo sites (e.g. non KR) are mainly positive. I don't have a huge need for an extreme tele-zoom, but am thinking it would be convenient to have for occasions where the range would be beneficial (similar to how I use the 24-120). Anyways I'm curious if anyone pulled the trigger and was subsequently disappointed for whatever reason.

I was very excited when this lens was announced and then the terrible issue of focus breathing killed it for me.

This is a very nice lens when used at longer distances, but it actually drops well below 300mm at closer distances and you can find yourself shooting birds, animals and even insects at closer ranges where the previous version gave more magnification.

For me it's a deal breaker. I use and require the focal lengths I pay for. Even in the case of the 70-200 VRII I ended up adding a TC since it also drops to something like 140mm at close range.

While this doesn't bother everyone, it bothers some and it's a valid issue. Most who buy it know about this issue and are not concerned. You just have to look at what/how you shoot and make the call. For me the 300mm F4 is the better lens and it also works nicely with the TC. I hope they make a VR version soon.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mpe
mpe
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow