5DMkiii, Magic Lantern, and In camera Auto Dot Tune??

Started Mar 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
bobkeenan Contributing Member • Posts: 712
5DMkiii, Magic Lantern, and In camera Auto Dot Tune??

I just uploaded the Magic Lantern firmware to my 5DMkiii.  Lots of interesting stuff to try out and it all seems to work.   I came accross Dot Tune as one of the modules that come with it.   They have incorporated an auto MA tuning function in the firmware package.   I had recently got a 100-400mm lens and did a MA cal on it with FOCAL.  So I decided to try the Dot-Tune.

What you do is set up your target (I have a lens align target).  Make sure its parallel to the sensor.  Use live view to do a manual focus of the target.  Set it at f2.8 or the lowest f stop.  Start the auto Dot-Tune.  A few minutes later its calibrated and a new MA is already set in the camera!  It was different than what

Pretty nifty!!

But I never trust any of the automated or semi-automated systems so I went to check the new new settings agains the lens align system where I can actually see the depth of focus.  It was off by a few MA ticks.

So I ran thru the whole auto dot tune again after refocusing and this time is was closer maybe close enough.

So what I think I learned here is that the Auto dot tune is a really cool feature of Magic Lantern but its really dependent on how well you do the initial manual focus.... which is somewhat subjective.

In the end I still  like the lens align because you can see the depth of field on the ruler and decide if you want to be centered in it or a little front or back focused.

But if you are somewhere where you do not have the Lens Align system with you .... a paper target on the wall and a tripod (or some place to have a steady camera).... and you can do a half way decent MA cal.

-- hide signature --
 bobkeenan's gear list:bobkeenan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow