Has anyone been disappointed with the new 80-400?

Started Mar 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
nampramos Regular Member • Posts: 196
Re: Has anyone been disappointed with the new 80-400?

mpe wrote:

I rented the new 80-400G. Although I love its image quality. I have two complains:

1) it is not 400mm lens. Due to focus breathing when you shoot at short distance (bird shooting) you have effectively a 300mm f/5.6 lens. Even at infinity is it no true 400mm but rather 380mm. So if you are getting this lens over 300mm prime because of 300-400 range and shoot at close ranges, think twice.

Angle of view of my AF-S 300mm f/4D when focused at 5m distance is about the same as 80-400G at long end and I have one extra stop. Thats a huge benefit of the 300mm prime.

2) build quality

I was actually interested in the cheaper (and older) AF-D version of the 80-400. Have you tested that one? My primary use for it would be at the long end of it (300 to 400) for surf photography and also shooting video on a D7100. With this slow lens could obviously only be done properly on very sunny days.

The focus breathing probably would not affect in this case, or?

The AFS 70-300 VR is obviously very tempting since it is way cheaper but is also 100mm short and when shooting surfing in some locations you really need a long lens!

Thanks for the replies!

nampramos's gear list:nampramos's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mpe
mpe
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow