Got a small bonus at work - want to buy camera gear, what to get?

Started Mar 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
RhysM Senior Member • Posts: 2,212
Re: Got a small bonus at work - want to buy camera gear, what to get?

thechoson wrote:

Got a small but unexpected bonus at work today. Going to allocate a chunk of that ($1000ish or less) towards some camera equipment, want some suggestions on what to get.

I currently have a Canon 6D with 24-105, and 50mm 1.8. I also have a Fuji X100s that I love. My wife has a Canon SL1 with 18-55, 55-250, and a Canon S110. I obviously have access to those cameras as well. With that gear, I shoot everything I want, works great for me. But obviously this is more of a "want" than a "need" purchase. That being said, here is a list of stuff I'm considering, please recommend JUST one:

(1) Fuji XE-1 with 18-55: Good pricing on these now, and the X100s has really made me love Fuji. I'd probably add 35mm 1.4 down the line as well.

(2) Fuji X20: Again, I'm starting to really like Fuji. Not sure if this would make much sense since I already have X100, would give me some added flexibility of a zoom lens I guess.

(3) An additional lens for my Canon system: Not sure which, but I've been desiring a higher quality prime. I Could stretch my budget for a 35mm 1.4L, or maybe get a 35mm f2 IS or 50mm 1.4. 85mm 1.8 may make sense as well, but it's not a focal length I use as much as 35 and/or 50mm.

(4) Sony RX-100: I had one previously and kind of miss it. Solid IQ in a compact package. That being said the X100s has become my "go-anywhere" camera, so not sure if the RX-100 would get much time from me. Maybe if I REALLY wanted to be compact.

Fifth option... Part ex the 6D and get a 5D Mk III

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow