Binoculars for S. Africa

Started Mar 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,856
Re: Binoculars for S. Africa

I use Canon 10X30 IS pretty regularly. I find the image stabilization to be a real help.

When I was on safari in Tanzania a few years ago, we were 95% of the time inside a Land Cruiser. We would stop and watch the animals but were kept inside for safety. The truck was not an ideal platform for stability because people move around. So the IS on the binoculars is more of a help than you might find in everyday non-safari use.

There is one small point to mention about IS binoculars however.  When the IS is off, there are loose optics inside so the image more wiggly than a standard binocular.   People kind of assume they are getting a larger benefit than they really are by comparing button pushed for IS versus not-pushed, no IS.   But I do find when comparing regular binoculars of same power and aperture that have no IS to my Canon IS, I see more detail with IS.  It is the difference of looking across a wide park and thinking "I wonder if that is my friend Joe over there" to being absolutely sure, "yeah, that's Joe"

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow