A Month with the MX-1

Started Mar 14, 2014 | User reviews thread
DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,244
Re: You forgot one feature...

DDWD10 wrote:

Benoz wrote:

I agree with most of your points but you didn't mention about one very unique feature of the MX-1 and that is the great capability of macro shooting due to the close focus and 1cm focus settings it offers. In 1cm focusing you can actually zoom in as well and get an extra x1.95 magnification.

This is one example:

I have used this setting a lot with great results. Some of the macro shots are in my flickr site in the "macro" set.

Regards,

Ben

Ah! How could I forget! I agree wholeheartedly... the macro mode on the MX-1 is so strong that I don't find the need to get a dedicated macro lens for my K-5 IIs.

You'll have to explain how you're able to zoom in while in 1 cm Super Macro Mode... zoom seems locked at wide angle when I try (?).

Zoom at 1cm macro is digital zoom, so you have to enable digital zoom in settings. Also, AWB works better in incandescent light if natural picture style is selected, that also takes care of JPEG artifacts (less default sharpening). I find that boosting the contrast in natural (in camera) also works well, looks closer to bright but cleaner when looking 100%.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow