Sold my 5DMkII and ordered the 6D, was it the right decision? What do you mean?

Started Mar 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP torppapa Regular Member • Posts: 361
Re: Sold my 5DMkII and ordered the 6D, was it the right decision? What do you mean?

JoEick wrote:

Everything concerning image quality and auto focus are better on the 6D. No debating that! Some people only find the lack of joystick to be a downgrade.

I went from a 5d2 to 6D and have taken tens of thousands of shots with it so far. The high ISO looks waaaay better past ISO 3200, and responds better to Photoshop noise reduction.

The shadow detail and ability to lift them is also much improved over the 5D2 at any ISO level. You have to push 5+ stops to see any hint of banding on the 6D where as the 5D2 could show it in a 2-3 stop push.

There are also many new features such as wifi and 2 shot bracketing, which make the 6D a more versatile machine for creativity.

I won't complain about the lack of the joystick, since this a thing you know already before you purchase the product.

I'm glad to hear that you can push shadows better than on the 5D2. This was one of the major issues (other than DR) why I got the D7100. (Well why I'm a little bit hesitant with the 6D, is why it uses the "same" old sensor technology as the 5D2 used to have, sure in a more refined way, while Nikon (Sony, Toshiba) is using much more advanced semiconductor manufacturing technology).

As you see in the example, the Nikon does very well in lifting shadows. (in the original shot the crop I put here in this forum was almost black, since other parts of the image were in plain sunshine). I'm going to take the same pic also with the 6D and will lift shadows.

Here is the whole pic (from the Nikon first, and after from the 5D2), shadows already lifted:

Nikon D7100

torppapa's gear list:torppapa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D +38 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow