RX10/100v1 .. worthwhile to shoot RAW?

Started Mar 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,726
Re: RX10/100v1 .. worthwhile to shoot RAW?

Ron AKA wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

Photoshop Elements automatically corrects distortion with RX100/II/10 RAW files.

Yes, that's a feature of ACR. But you don't have the option not to correct, nor to get wider images.

Agreed, but if I really wanted to not correct distortion I would torture myself by using Sony IDC. You can turn off correction. However the image is so badly distorted without correction I can't possibly think of any reason why you would do it. As far as wider images, just step backwards when you take the shot. My RX100 viewfinder very accurately shows what I really get in a JPEG or RAW conversion with Adobe. My preference is to get what I plan to get.

Yes, agreed about the distortion, but having a wider zoom lens is something people will pay good money for. It's one of the attractions of the RX10, and is arguably more valuable than the longer zoom. So I regard it as one of the  free upgrades that come with using RAW, along with higher usable ISO and more dynamic range. Effectively, you get both a lens and a sensor upgrade for no extra cost, and it works with all your cameras. Quite a bargain!

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow