Binocular Suggestions

Started Feb 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
Andrewteee Senior Member • Posts: 2,862
Re: Binocular Suggestions

Andrewteee wrote:

rrh wrote:

I am interested in purchasing a nice set of binoculars mainly for birding and general use. I've been looking at different reviews to familiarize myself with the different offerings, features, etc. I'd prefer to be in the 2 to 4 hundred dollar range but might consider more if someone with experience can make a compelling argument to justify the extra $. No one seems to recommend the multi-magnification models and most birders seem to say the 8x is clearer than the 10x. The new thing seems to be image stabilization but that may not be as good better glass? Hope some experienced bird photographers will give me your 2 cents. I'm open to all suggestions if for no other reason than learning.

Please be specific as to brand, model and what you like about your choice.

I've been doing a ton of research on this topic. I bought myself a pair of Zeiss 8x32 Victory binoculars for viewing birds and wildlife in our backyard and out hiking. Expensive, but I love and appreciate quality optics.

For less expensive binocs, people seem to recommend the Nikon Monarch line as a great all-purpose value. As you've also heard, 8x32 and 8x42 seem to be the most recommended options; given how much shake I get even at that magnification I'm apprehensive about 10x binocs.

My own advice is to invest in a quality pair of binoculars for the long term. Unlike cameras, they will last forever. I like Zeiss, and they have a range of models in various price ranges, but there are many good options.

In my research I really appreciate this guy's perspective. Lots of good info here too.

I ended up trying a pair of 10x42 binoculars and shake is not an issue. I appreciate the extra magnification too. But really, any quality pair of binoculars from 7x to 10x is fine.

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GR Digital IV Leica Q Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow