RX10/100v1 .. worthwhile to shoot RAW?

Started Mar 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,737
Re: RX10/100v1 .. worthwhile to shoot RAW?

2eyesee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

And here's what it looked like after processing the RAW:

Full size image processed from RAW file using DxO

Now one could say that my it's mistake to have under-exposed the original, and I agree, but there's not much I can do about that apart from getting the most out of it through post-processing.

I actually don't think you under-exposed the original at all. You've managed to avoid blowing out the sky and then lifted shadows in post. It's what I would have done.

If I can offer one piece of criticism though it would be that like your other examples, I feel you lift the shadows a bit too much. I would like to see something in-between - leaving more shadow in the image to make it more dramatic and moody.

Here's another version that's a bit more dramatic, with a different tone curve, more vibrancy, more NR, more contrast, and cropped. Obviously any number of such renders would be possible from the same RAW, to suit different tastes:

Rendered from RAW by DxO

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow