***Share Your Custom Settings***

Started Mar 12, 2014 | Discussions thread
Conrad567 Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: ***Share Your Custom Settings***

gbert15 wrote:

Ahhh! Nicely done man! I was actually shooting in harsh light this morning and did find what u meantioned about dynamic range quite correct although shutter speed peaked already! Not sure if an ND filter would have helped though!

Any experience with darker skin tones though with your settings? That seems to be the tricky part for me! Kinda came out waxy or at least not realistic when I was tinkering with the different film sims and settings!

Darker skin tones generally need less contrast.  I would set my H and S tones to 0 and let the dynamic range run at 100 or 200 depending on lighting.  I have found that Lighter skin requires more contrast and darker skin looks much better with lower contrast.   Also I usually shoot children with a higher contrast and color saturation than I do adults.  Here are some examples of photos I have taken with darker skin tones.

Edited in Light Room to give the Cyan appearance

Here I used lower contrast and saturation.

Here I boosted the contrast and saturation slightly

For a shot like this though skin matters less than the general scene so I boost the contrast to enhance the subject.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow