My birding set up - what to add to my D7100 and Nikon 300mm f4 AFS

Started Mar 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cincy Regular Member • Posts: 175
My birding set up - what to add to my D7100 and Nikon 300mm f4 AFS

I got a great deal on a slightly used Nikon 300 f4 AFS prime and am looking to add a few items to round out my birding gear:

NIKON 1.4 teleconverter - not sure if I should go with grey market or not, will save me $100 which I can put towards my next item.  I'm leaning towards grey market, seems to me there is little that can go wrong with a TC, so warranty coverage may not be an issue.  Thoughts?

Kirk 300mm F4 mount - to replace the Nikon mount which I'm hearing is not the best

Manfrotto gimbal - I have a very stable aluminum tripod (heavy) and Manfrotto ball head. Also have a carbon fiber monopod with RC2 head

Considering selling my above tripod and getting the old version Manfrotto 190CXPRO3.  I haul my current tripod (Benro) but the Manfrotto CF version is now at a price point I'm willing to pay

A 77mm UV filter - primarily for protection of the lens

Interested to hear any advice or suggestions you may have.  Looking forward to getting out there and getting some great shots!!

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow