RX10/100v1 .. worthwhile to shoot RAW?

Started Mar 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,731
Re: RX10/100v1 .. worthwhile to shoot RAW?

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Aside from someone's other PP choices or effects, RAW is definitely better IF YOU CARE.

The reason the RAWs are larger files is because the RAWs have larger bit depth, that is what gives you MORE to work with. Dynamic Range, Color Depth, Detail, etc. There is no denying that.

A lousy photo can be made acceptable if a RAW version exists, primary or alternate in case.

Many of the most impressive shots I see are RAW with some PP.

As for me:

I know all this, bought PSE 12 because it does RAW, read the whole book, circles, arrows, bent page corners. That was about more advanced Jpeg PP. Using RAW with PSE 12 is another bookI

You've probably spent much longer on the manual than most people do. Average users just learn as they go along.

I don't even remember what I read, and still only crop and do brightness/contrast adjustments. Maybe for some image, I will go back into the book to find a solution or fun thing to do.

You're already more than halfway to using RAW. it really is easy.

I don't want to take the time to learn, time to do it, just too lazy and my memory sucks so it is too hard/slow if you don't do it regularly which I would never do.

You might change your mind if only you'd try it...

Harvey used layers of the original and alternate watercolor shot, adjusting transparency to adjust the degree differently than what you get from in-camera. That I intend to learn/use.

Noise reduction, hmmm, that would be nice, perhaps I will learn only that.

There's really nothing to learn. The program does the hard work.

DXO wider shots from 28mm lens, hmmm, that would be nice.

And it's automatic. You just have to switch the option on once, and it remembers it.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow