RX10/100v1 .. worthwhile to shoot RAW?

Started Mar 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,856
Go camera raw and remain happy. :)

Digital Nigel wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

cchen2 wrote:

Holy cow, this is new information to me (the comment on editing JPG's w/ Camera RAW). Thank you soooooo much. I had no idea that this was even an option!! This is so fantastic- I can't wait to get home to try it on my home computer!

You're welcome. It works very well. On your PSE, at the bottom, there are options to check off. Pick Camera Raw, and a new window opens...which has much to offer, without having to do the whole raw thing. I've done raw, and I've done this...more often now, this. Have fun !

Why is it better than starting with an actual RAW image? It seems like the same amount of effort, but with an inferior input. Why not get the extra advantages that using a RAW file brings, such as more dynamic range, better shadow/highlight recovery, more WB flexibility, more scope to recover badly exposed shots? JPEGs are fine if you don't like post-processing, but if you're going to post-process anyway, start with the best possible raw material.

Seems you missed the point. Who said raw didn't offer more ??

To repeat : camera raw is a great thing to use if you don't want to collect huge raw files and be forced into tedious computer work just to get the last wee bit of DR out of a regular image. Less hassle, fewer programs to learn, less space needed in camera and on computer, and most of the benefits. And before posting or printing, every image resorts back to yet another jpg. Always. I ask you, how many raw files have you sold, and how many jpgs ?

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 70D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow