Best small compact camera

Started Mar 8, 2014 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 14,142
Re: Best small compact camera

Travolta wrote:

..... his current Canon Ixus 70.

All the answers so far came from 'enthusiast' compact junkies, who totally missed the point that your father wants a SMALL CAMERA.

Since he has an IXUS 70, I would suggest he stays with the same form factor, like with the ELPH 340 / IXUS 265 - http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_elph340hs , which also is the same Canon brand. This will ensure he does not have to relearn everything he knows about digital cameras.

The redeeming feature is, it has a BSI-CMOS sensor. These have substantially better dynamic ranges and better high ISO performances, a feature which still has not struck home with many.

I have the Olympus SH-50 with one of those BSI-CMOS sensors. It is also a pocket P&S, which is the only kind of camera that does not constantly remain on the shelf when I have priorities other than photography. Let me give you a recent example -

Here is a high ISO shot from the same view point -

That Canon ELPH 340 / IXUS 265 HS should give similar results.

Don't get religion about compacts. Give your father what he WANTS, a SMALL camera.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow