Is great lens on an A7 enough - or do you need an A7r?

Started Mar 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088
Is great lens on an A7 enough - or do you need an A7r?

I've been pretty busy over the past 3 weeks since I got my A7, and haven't had a chance to test it and my M mounts on it in "real world" shooting. This weekend, I did get a chance - and one image persuaded me that I wasn't wrong in thinking that an A7 would be enough for me/

Full frame

This was shot with a 33 year old pre-aspheric 35mm f1.4 Summilux, f2.8, hand held.

I now know what the A7 can do with my weakest prime. Maybe you need more raw resolving power, but this tells me that the A7 is enough for me.

PS: note how shallow the DOF is - his near eye is in focus, his mouth and mustache  are already beginning to go out of focus. Worth remembering when one wishes for faster lenses...and this is a 35mm on FF, at at a distance of about 3-4 feet from the subject, focused on the near eye.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow