Stabilisation

Started Mar 8, 2014 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,580
Me = off

rz350 wrote:

Someone asked why I had SIS enabled on my EP-5 because this seemed to cause the shutter shock at 1/250 sec (vertical movement of the photo) with my 9-18 lens and which did not occur on either my e-pm1 or gf-3. Question? How many Olympus users regardless of camera turn the stabilisation off and only use it in low light situations?

I leave the IBIS turned off on my E-P3 at all times unless it is an "emergency" situation.

The 2-way IBIS is practically useless in most situations, and to my mind having it on is creating as many problems as it is solving. Specifically, it introduces the risk of shutter shock and uses battery juice. Also, I often shoot from tripods and other stable surfaces, when IS and IBIS should be turned off anyway, and if it wasn't already turned off then I would forget.

I do use the IS on my 12-35, but I've only had that lens for a week ...

S

How many like me leave it on all the time?

I used my E-PM1 with it always enabled and can't complain about the the results. It has other failings, but IS wasn't one of them.

I would like for DPREVIEW to comment on whether they leave IS on all the time because they stated they had shutter shock symptoms at what should be shutter speeds that would not seem to require IS. My curiousity has been aroused.

Perhaps Olympus can do a firmware update that will turn IS off at shutter speeds deemed safe enough not to require it.

And if you are in denial regarding shutter shock syndrome, please disregard the shutter shock syndrome stuff and respond to the IS question.

Regards

Dave

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow