extremely affordable 4k (aka UHD) 28" displays coming as companion to your MP or rMBP

Started Jan 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,498
Re: Wide - Gamut trumps resolution for Photography.

bronxbombers4 wrote:

joger wrote:

user_name wrote:

If the color spectrum is not wide gamut, all the pixels in the world will not reveal what is in your raw files and your post processing will never be correct.

fully agree - you need a wide gamut display to do that and not a single Apple display is currently a wide gamut display!!

As a photographer the target should always be to have a display that has as least as much color gamut as all the other devices you're syncing up with. Then proofing is possible and you actually see what you're doing and you can judge your workflow.

The before mentioned UHD displays are more or less all sRGB color gamut with two exceptions - the 31,5 inch Samsung and LG are wide gamut IPS panels and they probably cost far north of 3 k USD (±)

BUT 800 USD for a 10 bit UHD display with sRGB is surely better then 1 k USD for an Apple 27" Cinema Display with sRGB and only 2560x1440 Pixel

Why not for now go with a 24" for $1000? Then you can get UHD and wide gamut and uniformity compensation and internal calibration. I'd way rather that for now than hold over with one of those cheap 28" UHD displays.

1st of all - none of the cheap UHD 60 Hz displays is really available. I definitely exclude the 28" DELL since UHD at 30 Hz is a no go for me for the main monitor.

2ndly - I get more and more convinced that Apple might bing it's own solution. I hate saying that but sometimes it's better to wait a bit - especially in this case since the technology seems to be in a  very early stage. So I reconfigured my budget and prioritized other "toys" and put the > UHD resolving monitor in October time frame.

Softwre and hardware will be ready - who knows - maybe Apple really brings a curved Retina 30 inch Cinema Display - that would be really nice.

I am just thrilled by the idea to have a really sharp display instead of my iMac like 27 inch low res display. Exciting times!!

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
if you start to fight with a pig you'll end up mud-wrestling - the only difference is the pig will like it

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow