Nikkor 105 f/2?

Started Mar 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
wireless Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Nikkor 105 f/2?

I am considering the Nikkor 105 f/2. I have a 50mm and 85 both f/1.8. Best lenses for IQ that I have. I have the trinity lenses but somehow despite their convenience I like shooting with the primes. Not only is IQ better but they require a little more thought to get the composition right.

I'm thinking about adding the 105mm f/2. It is not on sale and is $1000+ but even used ones are in the $800 range so they are highly thought of even used.

My shooting is general. I shoot anything and everything so it wouldn't necessarily be for portraiture. Most of my best work is shallow DOF stuff. I love that and I read the 105 is great for it. Of course it has the DF ring so even better. Does the DF-ring effect still work well if the subject or focus distance is further away, say, 50' away?

Things that concern me are the built in hood and the screw-drive focus. It's an old design. How much does it matter that SWM or AF-S is not used? Is this a dinosaur? I've had a screw-type before (Tamron) and it was pretty loud and grindy sounding.

And with the hood how big is this lens really in practical use? Reviews say it's heavy and well-built. How would it compare to the 24-70mm f2.8 or even the 70-200mm f/2.8? The former is okay but the latter is too much for any amount of handheld use.

It's really the only lens I can think of buying. I wouldn't mind having a 200~400mm for sports or maybe a 35mm primes but don't really see them as something I need.

Thoughts, suggestions on the 105mm are appreciated.

best, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow