MFT Lens Acquisition Strategy...Primes, Stylus 1, Panasonic, Combos...?

Started Mar 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
rickreyn
rickreyn Senior Member • Posts: 1,493
MFT Lens Acquisition Strategy...Primes, Stylus 1, Panasonic, Combos...?

I have the E-M1, the 12-40mm and the 40-150mm ("good enough"). I am wanting to complete my lens lineup with one or two more lens, mainly for portraits and street shooting or for any occasion where a 1.8 would be nice. My max budget is around $1,200, and this would conclude my camera purchases until well after trips and weddings and what not that will divert any funds I have.

My issues are the 12-40mm practically does is all for me. I don't need more than the 24mm equivalent WA. I also don't want to be redundant, in that the 45mm and 75mm primes, aren't but the 12mm, 17mm and 25mm primes are (but I want a fast prime!). I really like the weather-sealing, but the new Pro 40-150mm coming--and when?--will probably be quite expensive, maybe $1,400, whereas the Panasonic 35-100mm 2.8 is weather-sealed and smaller, but also pricey, but doable, with a range above 80mm at 2.8. Another wrinkle, in the past, I've complimented my DSLR with an enthusiast's P&S. Right now I have a 10 mp LX7, but with limited zoom (90mm). I'm thinking the Stylus 1 gets me the range to 300mm at 2.8, albeit at 12mp. Operation of this camera would be seemless, as opposed to diving into another operating system on the fly. I could get the Stylus and one prime, either the 17mm or the 45mm. The size of the Stylus gets me a second body on my person without having to get an E-M5 or M10.

These are my choices, scatterbrained for sure, but I am looking for ideas to break the log jam. I like the 75mm, but it's $900. Another $300 and I've got up to 200mm, excellent quality, weather-sealed and 75mm to boot in the 35-100mm, albeit not at 1.8 but at 2.8. But I really think the 75mm will be a real boon to my creativity.

Just need a little boost here. Coming up in May, trip to Pacific NW and Canada, and possibly Cuba in October. Great photo ops. Also not a pro, just an enthusiastic enthusiast "all in" for MFT.

Thanks for the time!

-- hide signature --
 rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow