70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

Started Jan 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,388
Re: 70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

David Hull wrote:

When you measure it, you do not know where it is coming from (but we have additional info indicating what is going on). What Sensorgen does it to model it as additive noise and a multiplicative one, and fit a curve. Then they report the additive noise as "read noise".

He isn't really modeling anything, he is taking the DxO information and presenting it in a different perspective, one which makes it a bit easier to see what is really going on in the camera.

Of course, he is modeling it. Look at the formula here. Those numbers are derived from the DXO data by curve fitting, under some assumptions (there was a recent thread about those assumptions, BTW).

Yes, I read that thread.  Yes, he is doing a curve fit to the DxO data.  But so what, it is the results he gets that are interesting and provide a great deal of insight into how the camera is actually working.  That is what I was really trying to point out here which I hope I have succeeded in doing.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow