70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

Started Jan 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: 70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

carlk wrote:

IBIS is really not a must have for me. However I'm also at lost to explain why the companies don't want to add it in the camera even if it means they might sell a few cameras with it. The cynical explanation is they could sell more IS with each lenses but I don't think that's the reason. The unstabilized VF wouldn't be a problem for EVF os that should not be the reason either. My best guess is there are still some technical challenges to match the performance of the in lens IS for these larger sensors.

According to Nikon its not just the viewfinder.

Why is 'in-lens' VR [image stabilization] superior to 'in-camera' VR [image stabilization]?

1. Corrected finder image makes photo composition easy.
Because camera movement is compensated within the lens in use, you can see a clear finder image. This makes it easier to capture your subject in the focus frame and confirm composition. With a camera that corrects image blur inside the camera body, the image in the finder remains blurred.

2. Each lens is optimally tuned to achieve reliable correction.
Unlike cameras that only provide an internal image-blur function, every lens is optimised. As a result, you can shoot at shutter speeds several stops slower than would otherwise be possible.

3. Image information captured by the AF and metering sensors is corrected with in-lens VR.
This is a major difference from the in-camera VR. The result is faster and more accurate autofocusing and exposure metering.

4. Patterns of image blur are not the same with all lenses.
Image blur caused by camera movement differs with each lens used. This phenomenon is more noticeable when you use a lens with a longer focal length. So each lens should be finely tuned.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow