What Was Going On With The Moon 3/5/2014

Started Mar 6, 2014 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,713
Re: What Was Going On With The Moon 3/5/2014

Frank Malone wrote:

MurryG

MurryG here is one of the pictures I took last night. I said camera did not focus but I don't think that is really right. The focus box turned green and I used tripod and remote shutter release. It just seemed so bright to me. Very much different then the other 2 nights.

Frank,

It may seem counter intuitive, but shooting close-ups of the moon is the same as shooting any subject in daylight and requires similar exposure. This is because both situations are being lit by the exact same lighting condition - bright direct sun. Your blooming effect above is basically due to overexposure at ISO 1600. A typical moon image that retains detail and contrast in the lit area from the terminator to the edges only needs about ISO 100 - ISO 200 and f5.6 at 1/60 - 1/125 second, give or take depending on conditions. For handheld images, a higher ISO would be required to produce a higher shutter speed. Here is an example similar to yours that was tripod mounted at a lower ISO and lower shutter speed, but in the same area of EV:

I hope this helps.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow