X-E2 review just posted

Started Mar 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
Jeff Charles Veteran Member • Posts: 7,514
Re: Fudged ISO documented.

John Carson wrote:

Chanthis wrote:

Well, I guess that ends the aura of high-ISO supremacy of the X-E2, and probably the X-T1 as well. Dpreview has documented that Fuji fudges the ISO, and hence requires more exposure.

It doesn't require more exposure. It requires higher ISO.

Kudos to dpreview for clearly making this point, and explaining that the ISO fudging is largely responsible for any perceived noise advantage.

It only matters when comparing cameras using poorly designed tests, i.e., the way DPR does them. It's not a factor for the majority of actual photography.

IAC, I've never believed that the X-E2 has a noise advantage compared to other recent cameras with APS-C sensors.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
Pastafarian, but with doubts, and a waskely wabbit too

Yes yes I think what the guy meant to say was it required higher ISO to get the right exposure. More to get the exposure. Needless to say I'm happy that DPR confirms this disparity. Yes the Fuji's are very good at high ISOs just not quite as high as they claim.

I can shoot the exact same scene with my Nikon with the same settings and I require a higher ISO on my fuji to get the same result.

Doesn't bother me too too much though. Pretty nice review overall.

Or you can use a slower shutter speed or wider aperture. Any suggestion that you must change one specific thing is nonsense.

Shutter speed and aperture determine exposure. ISO affects brightness. In controlled tests, shutter speed and aperture need to be kept the same (or equivalent) on all cameras, because noise and DR are functions of exposure, not of ISO.

In the field, shutter speed and aperture also affect motion blur and DOF. Adjusting them to compensate for less strong ISO gain, i.e., increasing actual exposure to produce a brighter picture, will work, but a more targeted solution is to increase ISO, because it only affects brightness, without affecting motion blur or DOF. We can also brighten the photo on the computer, which is the same (in general) as increasing ISO in the camera.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
Pastafarian, but with doubts, and a waskely wabbit too

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow