Teleconverter question

Started Feb 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,328
Re: This is not quite a complete answer

Bob GB wrote:

Adding a TC to a lens is similar to magnifying the image formed by the lens in this case by a factor of 1.4. Doing so, you reduce the resulting sharpness (resolution) of the lens by the same factor (1.4) which is a reduction of 29%. r preference. I strongly suggest you try it out with the lens in question.

Sorry this is incomplete.

The first thing is image resolution is made up from sensor resolution and lens resolution. If the lens combination and sensor each measured independently have equal resolution you 29% is reduced to 14.5%.

Some sources indicate the best sensors now have about twice the resolution of good lenses at optimum aperture.

If this is true the image resolution loss becomes less than 10%. Test sites (Canon MTF stats in particular) and my own experience with a 36 MP body indicate the loss is about 10% - providing I keep my long lens technique high.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
We all aspire to take great photos but may always achieve this perhaps due to a lack of application, a lack of knowledge, or even a lack of talent.
The best photographers probably work quite hard at their photography.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow