Binoculars for S. Africa

Started Mar 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP rlapporte Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: Binoculars for S. Africa

Bobert411 wrote:

No idea exactly what is needed for Africa but I like 8 or 10 power for anything in US. Above 10 can be problem if you are the least bit shaky. Note the size of the 10x42....much bigger than 8x32 so if just buying for trip, ask yourself what space you have.

Might take a look at reviews on optics 4 birding. Nice write ups and I think fair appraisals on each. I went to their store and tried newest mid-range and top-of-line 10x42 Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, etc. I loved the way the Zeiss felt in my hands but ended up getting the Nikon EDG. They felt good, the focus was quicker and the depth of field I perceived seemed slightly better. On any of them you absolutely can’t go wrong.

The difference in image quality between the top of line and more mid-range priced is very slight but there...especially if you use them a lot. All depends on how much you use them (not worth the price for 1 trip and then not using regularly IMHO). The high $ price pairs do have much better warranty.

Bob

Thanks, Bob.  I'll keep looking locally, but in today's internet-centric world it's getting harder to find local stores that carry stuff like this.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow