Dear Canon, I'm not buying anymore DSLR Gear get on with the M

Started Mar 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,467
Case in point - coat pocket pics

T3 wrote:

The whole notion that size is irrelevant unless it can "fit in my jeans pocket" is really absurd, and narrow-minded. LOL. There's a lot more to the size issue than merely the "jean pocket" test.

First of all, you are showing a startling incapacity to understand that it isn't just about the camera body and a single lens, it's about being able to carry a camera with a complement of lenses in your bag. Mirrorless lenses are absolutely more compact than DSLR lenses. Here's a picture to prove my point, below. On the left, we have the Canon 10-22 EF-S for Canon APS-C DSLR. In the middle, we have the Canon 11-22 EF-M for Canon APS-C mirrorless. (The last lens, on the right, is an equivalent m4/3 lens.) As you can see, even though both of these Canon lenses are specifically designed for APS-C sensors, the mirrorless lens is a fraction of the size of the DSLR lens. And a fraction of the weight, too. The difference in size is also quite prominent from the front, where the EF-S lens has a huge 77mm filter thread, while the EF-M lens has a very small 55mm filter thread.

Here's another image to illustrate how compact mirrorless is compared to DSLR, again with these same Canon lenses (the EF-S lens is mounted to the EF-to-EF-M adapter, which basically shows where the lens would be positioned if it were on a DSLR like an SL1-- double the length of mirrorless!):

These pics were taken on Saturday when we went shopping at the outlet mall, but which is in a very photogenic place and so I slipped the EOS-M + 11-22 into my coat pocket

Old Customs House, Portsmouth Gunwharf Keys

Basin in Portsmouth Naval Dockyards, with modern destroyer alongside

HMS Victorious

People abseiling down Spinakker Tower, Portsmouth Gunwharf Keys

I would never have taken a DSLR with me in the same circumstances.

And a compact camera would never have given me such a wide PoV.

The best camera is the one you have with you, and only a MILC would have fitted the bill on this occasion.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Lawrence
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozwilkes/

Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow