How I got UHD (~4k) working on a MAC Mini

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP bronxbombers4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,387
Re: How I got UHD (~4k) working on a MAC Mini

lumigraphics wrote:

bronxbombers4 wrote:

lumigraphics wrote:

So you are complaining that it is difficult to hack the OS to do something that Apple specifically says is not supported. Well, yeah, and? If you fry your logic board, are you going to expect a warranty repair?

Mostly I was just trying to be helpful and tell people how to do it and save them time trying to track it all down themselves! It works. UHD displays are amazing. Once you get the retina mode working the MAC drives it very well.

It's NOT going to fry the logic board. Even if it did, and it won't, well I'd need to get a new MAC to display UHD anyway if it didn't work on this one.

You very well could fry the logic board, running components above rated design. This is kind of reckless advice and I would recommend that mini owners NOT try this. Just a note from a long time Mac tech and former Apple employee.

Ok, good points overall, but in this case:

1. Foremost: but the more recent MAC MINI run on Intel HD3000 and HD4000 chips and late last year Intel introduce upgraded Windows drivers for those chipsets enabling UHD/4k support. So from that alone it's clearly not being driven beyond rated design. And that is basically end of the story right there. It's just that on the MAC side they were left locked down by the Apple OS.

(2. But you could also consider that those chipsets always were said to be able to drive as much as one 2560 and two 1920 monitors at the same time so that implies enough bandwidth, at the least, for almost all of the parts.

3. Also I read that people had been running this hack for a few months already with no crash and burn and if was gonna crash and burn it would've happened already most likely. And graphics stuff is often more yes/no when it comes to display driving and if it couldn't safely handle it it probably would simply fail to work at all right away and not burn out in the few seconds it took to see that unless you tried to drive it at something ultra far beyond spec (although if it were to happen to fall at some awkward borderline I suppose it could be different so maybe some danger.)

4. Also the hack didn't seem to unlock unlimited modes only a few specific new ones.)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow