Class action lawsuit for false advertising?

Started Mar 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 23,701
Re: Ridiculous

viking79 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Weather-sealed is one of the reasons I bought this camera so I don't have to worry about rain or dust entering my A7 camera but now...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sonys-a7-and-a7r-cameras-are-not-dust-and-moisture-resistant/

This is quite deceptive for Sony to do this. Removing the weathersealed description on their website without informing the consumers!

This is where SAR and a few from forums combine to come up with nonsense. The cameras are as advertised.

But if people think there is such thing as absolute protection, they need to read up on Roger Cicala's blog on the subject.

Actually, false advertising is a pretty serious offense. If you advertise something as being weather and dust resistant and sealed it better be.

I received an offer from Nissan to buy back my Nissan Juke or accept a check for $400 US or so since they had advertised the gas tank capacity as 13 gallons and it was really 11 gallons. I just took the check since I was well aware of the gas tank size when I bought it.

If the camera is in fact not dust or weather resistant Sony needs to offer to buy back cameras or offer some form of compensation. You can't just lie on advertisements.

I am no lawyer, and don't personally care, because I didn't buy it based on weather sealing.

Eric

Normally I would agree with you Eric, but if there are light or dust leaks in some examples, (which is indisputable now,) then 'weathersealing' can no longer be claimed. Common sense, I believe. Of course this begs the question, "What is the true definition of Weather-sealing a camera?" Isn't that mostly just a marketing gimmick? Now Water-proofing would be a different story and easier to prove/disprove. Either something is waterproof or it is not waterproof.

SAR: "This is just pure speculation but it’s possible that the light leak issue discovered on the A7-A7r cameras also affects the dust and moisture protection."

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Marti58
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow