How I got UHD (~4k) working on a MAC Mini

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,797
Re: How I got UHD (~4k) working on a MAC Mini

bronxbombers4 wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

bronxbombers4 wrote:

Dell UP2414Q UHD monitor

OK, wow, actually got my MAC Mini to be able to support 3840x2160 or 1920x1080p HiDPI modes.

2. Go here and follow the http://code.google.com/p/mac-pixel-clock-patch/wiki/Documentation to install the mac-pixel-clock patch to unlock higher pixel clocks.

Is that modifying the driver such that unlocks higher speeds, ie, patching binary mode or are these speeds somewhere in plain text?

The real tricky spot I feel is not the binary change to two OS files but the way SwitchResX appears to store the new res that you select into the OS without letting you test to see if it works! So it stored UHD over HDMI into the OS and then it didn't work and then I was stuck! Re-booting just quickly enough brought me to the same no signal over HDMI issue. (it still worked fine over HDMI to other monitors, since it stores the selected res for each monitor type connected to MAC OS separately it seems, although there was no easy option having booted into another display as to where to reset the Dell screen size default, maybe I could have hooked up both at once and then it would have shown the Dell options and I could have changed them from the other monitor?). I'm not very familiar with MACs and maybe there is a way to safe mode boot them as with Windows and then you could fix that that way too. I was able to fix it by using DisplayPort connection next instead and luckily that handled the UHD that had been coded in by SelectX to be used with this particular monitor.

It's a bit hidden but the HDMI port of the Mac Mini is officially limited to about 1920 x 1200.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow