How I got UHD (~4k) working on a MAC Mini

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,797
Re: How I got UHD (~4k) working on a MAC Mini

bronxbombers4 wrote:

Apparently Apple did something in Mavericks to make the code not easily crackable now or something. Maybe it's possible though. I don't know too much about the innards of MACs. I have no idea why they would want to do that since usually companies like high adoption rates for new OS.

Apple cares zero about how easy or hard it is to do those kind of hacks. People in general don't buy Macs to tinker with them on this level, only a tiny minority will ever even think about that. It's like other product categories, some people are happy to self-assembles stuff (eg, furniture) and others don't want to deal with that. Apple is only targeting the latter half. That doesn't mean that one thing is better than the other, just that there are different kind of people out there and every company is trying to find its audience.

Maybe they'd rather try to force people into buying new hardware (even though their old HW actually can do it!), yuck. I hate that sort of 'marketing' action. I'm just using my MAC as a development bed for tablet programming, nothing more, so I sure won't be paying for a whole new fancy MAC just for that (unless some app takes off and sells a zillion copies I guess) and I guess that means I won't ever upgrade to Mavericks, at least not any time soon.

The 2013 Mac Pro can drive 4K at 60 Hz, the 2013 rMBPs can drive 4K at 30 Hz (and they have a one year newer Intel graphics than your Mac Mini, assuming it's a 2012 model). I think Apple just put a lid on GPU load to get a smoother graphics and possibly avoid overheating of the GPU inside a laptop.

Limiting to 30Hz doesn't deliver smoother graphics and the GPU could still be pushed to try to render more fps anyway though.

You are not thinking about this from the point of view of being conservative of what you promise as a manufacturer. If for some vaguely defined set of tasks, 60 Hz could not be delivered, than you don't offer 60 Hz. This might be infuriating to some but to others not being surprised of certain common enough tasks not rendering at 60 Hz beats having the option to run some tasks at 60 Hz. Some people rather pay more (or just wait longer) than getting a somewhat inconsistent performance. About two years back I created an animated slideshow (as movie file) which ran without any hiccups on my Macbook Pro, but for the presentation it had to be transferred to a fairly new PC laptop. And it could not show the animations, it showed only something like every 20th frame of it. That is the sort of surprise I don't like.

The output buffer part of the graphics card would have to run twice as fast but usually that is a mild thing compared to what the main GPU does and I'd assume if the chip can drive 60Hz then it was designed to handle it just fine. Perhaps in some of them the chip can't drive 60Hz though?? From what I read it sounds like it probably can though, not sure.

I really think limiting the performance of some components because of heat/cooling restraints on laptops is a very reasonable thing to do. Already with sub-4K monitors, the graphics chip can get quite hot on MacBooks with large external monitors. A user should never have to worry about overheating a computer, it's the manufacturers job to design the computer such that this is not possible. I know this is hearsay but I've heard from several people over the years, that PCs do overheat. One colleague even put it as: "Never run anything that uses the CPU at 100% for longer periods on a laptop, it could damage the computer".

Sure, Apple could have just been lazy but given that third parties were able to modify the binary code, it doesn't look as if it would have been much work for Apple to do this.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow