Flash question

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 5,076
Flash question

I use flash a lot, typically off camera with some PocketWizards. I had a look at the Fuji flashes again, dismissed them as way too small the last time I looked, but since B&H have some reasonable priced flashes on offer I thought I should have another look.

OK here are my questions:

1. The EF-X20 has iFlash (I assume that is Fuji-speak for TTL?) GN20 and uses 2 AAA batteries, the head canot be turned or otherwise bent for bounce flash. Is this actually any good? I ws thinking fill flash only, used an SB-24 many years ago with an F90X and had the flash set to -1.7EV. The Fuji only allows for +-1EV. I am a bit at a loss here whetehr this is an utter waste of money or whether the flash is actually quite useful. But AAA batteries?? US$ 179.00 (here in New Zealand, they cost around US$ 300.00 whhhhooooopppsseeee ...)

2. The EF-20 GN20 and uses 2 AA batteries (much better if you ask me...) and the head can be rotated. EV +-1 just liek the other one. US$ 99.00 ...

EF-X20 is made of metal but cannot be rotated, the EF-20 is made of plastic uses AA batteries ...

My gut feeling would still lean towards the EF-X20, but maybe there is another small flash, maybe +-2/3EV equally small, I don't care for TTL, but size is an issue, was thinking of an antique shop with some old brass where a little fill might work really well. A cable connecto to work with my PocketWizards wouldn't hurt either ...

Any thought on this?

Cheers

Deed

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow