Just another Canon shooter
Just another Canon shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,691
Re: 70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

rwbaron wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

TTMartin wrote:

Dave you have in the past asked for lens cap RAW files to take noise readings on. Are you able to make those same type of readings on TIFF files? If so would you please do RAW to TIFF conversions using Canon DPP, and 3rd party RAW converters like DCRAW and ACR and compare the noise readings?

I see that you do not understand what a DR of a sensor is. Those TIFF files would have a curve applied to them and in particular, the deep shadows would be cut.

Not sure this is correct. A Tiff is not like a JPEG where curves are applied and information is destroyed. A 16 bit Tiff can hold all the information that a RAW file has and in my experience does not have to have a curve applied.

A gamma curve is applied, unless you instruct DPP to create a linear TIFF. Then you will see a very dark image. Also, a 16 bit TIFF would contain as much information as the converter permits, depending on the setting you chose.

Uh, excuse my ignorance but isn't there a gamma curve applied to anything we view on a monitor?

It is part of the encoding (with the standard spaces, anyway):

Analogously, digital cameras record light using electronic sensors that usually respond linearly. In the process of rendering linear raw data to conventional RGB data (e.g. for storage into JPEG image format), color space transformations and rendering transformations will be performed. In particular, almost all standard RGB color spaces and file formats use a non-linear encoding (a gamma compression) of the intended intensities of the primary colors of the photographic reproduction; in addition, the intended reproduction is almost always nonlinearly related to the measured scene intensities, via a tone reproduction nonlinearity. [Wikipedia]

When it makes it to the monitor, the inverse curve is applied.

Wouldn't any converted RAW file contain as much information as the converter permits?

Yes, this is what I said, too. DPP treats certain part of the tonal range at both ends as garbage, rightly or not, and does not want you to see it, regardless of the settings. LR, with the new process, allows you access to a wider tonal range of what is in the RAW file.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow