70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

Started Jan 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,880
Re: 70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

TTMartin wrote:

Dave you have in the past asked for lens cap RAW files to take noise readings on. Are you able to make those same type of readings on TIFF files? If so would you please do RAW to TIFF conversions using Canon DPP, and 3rd party RAW converters like DCRAW and ACR and compare the noise readings?

I see that you do not understand what a DR of a sensor is. Those TIFF files would have a curve applied to them and in particular, the deep shadows would be cut.

Canon's DPP just cuts the deep shadows and the brightest highlights. The illusion of not so much noise comes from the fact that the evidence has been hidden (not in the RAW though - after the conversion).

Where is your proof for your supposition ?

Experiments with DPP vs. LR. Unlike measuring the DR, what I have done can be repeated by you from the comfort of your armchair. Just 2 weeks ago I posted some comparisons showing that DPP cuts the highlights (which is enough to diminish the DR):

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6sEEih63_X7VUMyRmJrSkZmVWc&usp=sharing

I did not use linear conversion, and did not do the same with the shadows, because the point of that thread was different. Fell free to prove me wrong with more than just words.

Those poor hi -end pros shooting Canon at the Olympics....what a huge handicap they must endure.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow