Quick bokeh comparison 56mm vs 60mm

Started Feb 28, 2014 | Discussions thread
marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,778
So, to sum up... (IMHO)

khollister wrote:

I also slightly prefer the bokeh of the 60 to the 56 @ f/2.5. The other interesting thing about the 60 (which I use) is that the bokeh (quality, not quantity of OOF) remains pretty constant as you stop the lens down. It really is a rather special lens optically for a very reasonable price.

Keith

Totally agreed, based on my experience also.
The 60 is really a great lens, period. And the AF is also really now OK with the latest firmware.

The super-shallow DOF you can obtain at f/1.2 is nice to have as an option, and it certainly has its uses. But in many cases f/2.4 is plenty shallow already, and any more becomes a bit of a cliché 'show trick' that can get repetitive pretty quickly, IMHO.

So that, for me, leaves the ability to keep shooting hand-held in very low light.

But, for really low light situations where camera shake is an issue, I think the 35/1.4 may be an even better option overall, since it is only 1/2 a stop 'slower' (f/1.4 vs. 1.2), but it lets you get away with a full stop slower shutter speed (e.g. 1/60s vs. 1/125s) because of the shorter FL...

Again, thank you Chris for taking the time to contribute this very nice comparison!

Marco

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow