No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,524
They are

jwaif wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Use a Hexadecimal editor or simply examine to resulting NEF's with RAW digger. Check the highlight areas in a near clipped NEF and see if you can tell. I'll try it later and see.

Mako,
Since you have your original NEF an easy way to test this is on a copy of a NEF. Open it with ViewNX2 and without making any changes save it as a TIFF.

The TiFF ViewNX2 creates is 8 bit only and very different from the one CNX2 creates. Have already looked at this a number of ways and confirmed.

Open it with Capture NX2 and save the NEF. Now open the modified NEF with ViewNX2 and save it again as a TIFF. If Capture NX2 has changed the NEF then the TIFFs should be different.

They are but I'm not sure it's not due to the way ViewNX2 converts to TIFF. Using a Hexadecimal editor...the difference is pretty large. How it translates in Photoshop CC...I haven't figured out yet.  Not sure if it's a loss of actual detail or not. Don't think the change to NX-D will affect me and might even help get me a true 16-bit tiff vs havering to use CNX2 for that. May work out for the best in the long run.  Not sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow