No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,570
Sure

JimPearce wrote:

1. That the TIFF from my existing edit is somehow a worse place to start than the original NEF.

If you need to make changes in highlights and shadows...that may indeed be the case if DR is extreme. Even the Tiff generated from an unedited NEF in ViewNX2 is very different from the TIFF CNX2 generates from the same unedited NEF.  Your Tiff now has CNX2 NR backed in if used.

When would this be the case? I grant that someone who suddenly discovers he was over-sharpening might have a problem here.

There you go...over sharpened or poor noise reduction vs what Topaz 6.65 can to 2 years from now. The Shadows pulled in CNX2 may be far inferior to what we can do with the original NEF in ACR 10.7

2. That the NEF saved by CNX2 contains less accessible information (relative to Software X) than the original NEF. This looks like speculation to me; if there's proof I'd love to see it.

Use a Hexadecimal editor or simply examine to resulting NEF's with RAW digger. Check the highlight areas in a near clipped NEF and see if you can tell. I'll try it later and see.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow