No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,734
true...

JimPearce wrote:

I read what Thom wrote, but it isn't entirely logical. All edits in NX2 are reversible. Here is what I'll be doing (if and when the situation is clarified):

Yes, but you can no longer use the NEF that CNX2 produces (it is now no longer original) by other Nikon software and some indications that brightness/contrast settings that CNX2 bake in may not allow you to get the exact same result from ACR as you would with the original NEF. Said another way...CNX2 changes the RAW file in a way that limits its use/funcionality vs the original NEF.

1. Going through folder by folder and converting my edits to TIFFs. This is the only way of ensuring long term access to the edits.

That's always an option...but you still never have access to the original NEF once It's saved via CNX2. Not the case with ViewNX2.

2. After producing a TIFF, I may copy the same file as a NEF and cancel all of the edits that won't be picked up by other software.

Sure, but as IO said, it's not the original NEF and some functionality is lost.

Or not. The only potential issue I see here is that say LR 5 might have a problem reading the file.

Yep...and so may ACR (have problems) in the future...and so on. That's why I don't work on Original NEF's vs a copy. I never will have the issues you might have in the future as the original NEF is lost...in your case.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow