Did any Olympus DSLRs offer Video?

Started Feb 28, 2014 | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,077
Or get a dedicated video camcorder

Note, while I have shot video with my Olympus cameras, I have never been really happy with the video from them for shooting events (not scripted movies which have different needs).  In particular, it is painful to get the cameras to track subjects, and refocus, you can often times hear the noise of the lens focusing, and when you are recording hours of event shots, the fact that Olympus does very little compression of the files, means you will need to go through many memory cards.

As I now have been asked to record more video at events, my solution was to pick up a refurbished camcorder that is designed to be a video camera, and not a DSLR/point & shoot/cell phone that also does video on the side. I picked up a JVC GZ-EX210 from buydig.com that gives me great video, better compression, faster video focusing, smoothing zoom then I had using my E-5 or E-P2 cameras for video. That model has been discontuined, but looking at buydig.com, you might want something like: JVC GZ-E200RUS camcorder

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow