Is it crazy to consider leaving my D800 at home while I travel

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
Julius P.
Julius P. Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Is it crazy to consider leaving my D800 at home while I travel

wireless wrote:

Julius P. wrote:

There would have only a handful of occasions where I would have liked a D800, and only for its high ISO and amazing DR. The D800 (any DSLR really) will stick out like a sore thumb for street photography. OM-D is much more discreet and you can shoot from the hip and sneaky touchscreen shooting.

Here's a selection of pics to give you an idea of what you can achieve with OM-D:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26644150@N07/sets/72157639133316305/

Most of those people shots and the monkey are looking right at the camera. You weren't fooling anyone?

-David

Hi David,

No fooling in those cases but any of the shots in that gallery where the subject isn't looking at the camera, they were simply not aware of me taking photos (or discovered I was there right at the last minute). I don't do much shooting from the hip, just pointed that out as a possibility, and this is made easier with the swivel screen of the OM-D.

I think if I had the DSLR I would have been noticed much earlier if not before I even took the shot. The D700 shutter sound (D800 is even louder) would be enough to make heads turn.

Cheers,
Julius

Julius P.'s gear list:Julius P.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow