Aperture question, re: sharpness

Started Feb 26, 2014 | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,993
Re: Aperture question, re: sharpness

a13 wrote:

I had a Raynox 250 on a few shots I was doing yesterday and the only way to get any DOF at all was to stop it all the way down to f/22. I tried at 11 but didn't seem any better than f/5; probab;y should have tried 16 or something.

When extremely close as in macro then the depth of field shrinks like crazy. Only then you may use f/16 or f/22 to try and make the image look a bit better but all at the expense of loss of resolution due to diffraction. The compromise works OK then.

The other technique to gain depth of field for macro is to take a bunch of shots at the best aperture, say f/4 or f/5.6 or whatever is best for that particular lens, but all the while shifting the focus through the subject. Then later use image stacking or focus stacking software to combine all the sharp bits of the set of images to make it look like there's great depth of field. For example here's one commercial program that sprung from the microscopy world.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow