No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,062
Re: Some interpretation involved here...

JimPearce wrote:

I hope I've shown - in my limited area - what the D7100 can do as well as anyone here. I think Holmes has shown some great dog pictures here. But - if you read the Pro DX forum - I think you'd have to agree that our support for Nikon's decisions in DX was limited at best.

I also think you may be underestimating the difficulties involved in transitioning to a new platform and maintaining files and backups for those of us who have been using Capture in one form or another for a decade. I know I'm somewhat perplexed as to how to approach this, and I have more than a little IT experience and expertise. As an example, I'll have to go in manually and find about 15,000 edits (and convert them to TIFFs and put them somewhere) among 50,000 NEFs for fear of losing my edits. Mess with someone's files and you're bound to get an emotional reaction.

And then there's the more basic perplexity as to the optimal workflow for Nikon going forward. I'm not among those who think his workflow is perfect (Look to Reilly D. there.), but I do know that I'll continue to use U point technology to some degree. So, I'll be looking for the most efficient front end for the Nik suite. I suspect this will be LR 5 as NX-D simply doesn't have the other tools I need. But, circling back, I not only need to learn LR 5 but devise efficient storage and backup procedures for my use.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Fair points, I spoke a bit too harshly out of my own frustration with Papa N. I was never that invested in CNX; Lightroom 3 began turning my head soon after I purchased CNX and LR4 sealed the deal.  You're really coming to this question from a pro level CNX user of long duration, and in that capacity I can see where NX-D's dumping of non-sidecar compatibility is a huge disabler, and utterly stupid of Nikon to do.  It really does seem that Nikon is desperately trying to jettison dead-end products these days, regardless of the legacy support policy it built its rep upon and regardless of the pros who adopted it.  They spend the big bucks but don't bring the big volume, I guess. It's the consumers that do that, and the choice of editing software is way down on the spec list.

I'll take my camera in red, please. Red cameras take better pictures.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow