No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,857
Re: Well, there's the difference mosswings...

JimPearce wrote:

I'm about to spend up to about $16 thousand updating my supertelephoto rig. My 500 f4 AF-S is now 17 years old. Unfortunately Nikon doesn't currently offer either a lightweight 500mm or 600mm supertelephoto or the APS-C camera to go with it. Canon's EOS 70D doesn't quite cut the mustard as a camera, but they have the lenses. So, with a 7D Mark II on the horizon, who knows?

Speaking of Thom, he says that Nikon just can't see the pro DX wildlife market. Why should I be happy with a company that refuses to support what I do to the point where I'm invisible to them? And why - given that I will be moving to a hardware-independent software platform that favours Canon - would I buy Nikon unless by some remote chance they have the best products for my purposes by let's say this winter?

-- hide signature --

Jim

I can certainly see where your specialty would justify a switch - on very solid technical grounds. But all this "NX2 was the only reason I was still with Nikon" exploding across this thread with the NX-D intro seems to me to be more last-straw invective rather than dispassionate reasoning.

I'm nowhere near the level of investment that you are, and never will be at that level. Most of my budget goes into taking trips, not taking photos of my trips. So I can't justify a wholesale expungement of my Nikon equipment to acquire...what? Something that performs just about the same for most purposes, but makes my shortening life a touch easier in postprocessing with my preferred workflow. At an appropriate time, when the mirrorless singularity occurs and grants me that smaller full-capability tuning-free camera body I desire, with that long awaited f4 walkaround that doesn't hang the camera's operating system, I will probably buy again. Maybe Nikon, but then again maybe not. Somehow I can't see buying in to Sony, or even Oly, as temping as they look.

Rather than predicate a system switch action on NX-D, however, let's just say what we may really think: that Nikon has pushed its dismissive relationship to its customers too far, to the extent that the stalwarts no longer wish to enable that behavior. That's fair, and it's killed off many a clueless company in the past.

Jumping the shark, Nikon style.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
(unknown member)
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow