No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,098
Re: Adobe on Nikon vs. Adobe on Canon

MiraShootsNikon wrote:

LarH wrote:

I think you're going to have a lot of company over there in canon land Jim.Me included. Nikon seems to not give a damn about their customers. - Larry

One of the most intriguing and frustrating aspects of the digital photography workflow--for me, anyway--is the difference in the way common tools handle different camera platforms.

Obviously, you don't have to be a persnickety pixel-peeper to notice that Adobe (and Capture One, DxO, Aperture, AfterShot, Darktable, etc.) all convert RAW quite differently than does Nikon software. So the Nikon shooter's workflow ends up being somewhat controversial by nature: either you embrace what Nikon gives you or you learn to work with an image processing start point that's often radically at odds with what you chimped while shooting, or with image processing parameters and shifts that seem "uncalibrated" to your camera's particular strengths.

However, if you're serious about switching, one of the first things you'll notice on the other side(s) of the fence is the absence of that controversy. For whatever reason, Adobe (and the others) do a much better job of hitting OEM Canon color and tone out of the gate.

With Lightroom 4 and 5, some people argue the Adobe Nikon calibrations are pretty close (hello, Reilly D), and I agree.

Hi Mira.

I will go further, then sideways a bit.  The colors I get from LR5 using Adobe Standard and Camera Standard are fabulous.  It's nothing to do with analysis.  The Adobe conversion bypasses the gatekeeper entirely and hits the pleasure centers broadside.  I don't get the same frisson from CNX2.  It's a bit clinical and 2D looking no matter how many sliders I tweak.

And now the sideways part.  I don't care if the output matches the LCD, I barely pay attention to it anyway, nor do I stress about perfect color accuracy generally, as that is an impossible goal.  I do know that if I look out over the valley here from Camp Diefenbach and then down to the monitor, the colors match up pretty closely.  Flesh tones on the few dozen people pictures I take a year are really nice.

The rough in with Process 2012 is HDR in a box, so powerful that Photomatix is gathering dust and bracketing rarely necessary, even at sunrise and set.

As to the molecular, the Adobe raw conversion surpassed CNX2 with LR4 imo.  It's noticeably cleaner, less haloed and slightly more detailed on the peep than CNX2 can manage for the D7100 or the D800e.  It appears to me that the CNX2 people gave little or no thought to how USM and high pass sharpening interacted with these new AA filterless cameras.  Almost every setting is too strong, making for a somewhat nervous presentation of fine detail.  The Adobe translation is impressively smooth by comparison.  Other freestanding raw converters may or may not do a good job, but for me LR5/CC are two stop shopping.  For the first time ever, for the last two years, I have no concerns regarding detail, color, sharpening, highlights/shadows, clarity or any of the flapdoodle attendant to the digital photographic process.  I'm free to concentrate on getting the shot.  It's a good feeling.

I know many of you are feeling a bit "raw" about CNX2 being axed, but there are a number of good alternatives, and you can always convert with ViewNX-D and open tiff in CNX2, although that's not ideal.

As to Canon falling in line with Adobe software better, well, I want detail galore and massive dynamic range above any other considerations and thus will most likely never have a chance to find out ;^)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
(unknown member)
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow