Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 18,072
Re: It depends on size, imo

Basalite wrote:

Not really. Medium and large format are expected to be viewed on a light box

Where you are projecting light through the slide film.

Different optics, and much less veiling glare from ambient light.

and used as originals for print.

While I was never a slide shooter, I have never heard the claim that "medium and large format transparency films are made with lower contrast than 35mm."

Well, you have now. The extra contrast in 35mm is there to allow for stray light when projecting, as this has the effect of reducing contrast.

Considering it is the first time I have heard of it and that I wasn't focusing on slide film I'll pass on believing or disbelieving your single claim and leave it at that.

My comment was also addressing all film, not specifically slide film.

Negatives do not have the high contrast of slides. This makes them easier to scan.

You were saying larger slide formats were "easier to scan" because of lower contrast. Now you want to talk about negative film?

I was really saying that 35mm colour slides are difficult to scan because of the high contrast.

You and the other poster are also talking about scanning and I am simply talking about the quality of film being the same between different formats. There is nothing inherently special of larger formats outside of simply dealing with a large film area that records more information, and as a result requires less magnification.

The larger the film, the more line-pairs of resolution you get per image height. At some point, that number is greater than you get on (for instance) a D800. My guess is that for most film that would be around 6x7 cm. The granularity is also less visible as the film gets bigger, which gives better gradation.

I don't know whether paper is still made for directly printing from colour film in an enlarger. I haven't seen Cibachrome on sale for years.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow