No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
herbymel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,944
Re: And "soon to be former" users Renato...

mosswings wrote:

jimoyer wrote:

Holmes375 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

Bring on the EOS 7D Mark II - Capture NX2 was my one remaining reason to stay with Nikon. If I need to go LR it might as well be with Canon.

Agreed. Just sold my D7100, one D300 and my wide angles. Newly acquired D700 goes on the market tomorrow. The rest will keep me shooting while I'm a short-timer.

Been shooting Nikon since the late '70s.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to see I'm not the only one considering this. I nearly pulled the Nikon/Canon plug this last time around when I went to the D7100, but the 7D didn't offer the image improvement over the D300s that the D7100 did, and that's what I was looking for. I'm not terribly impressed with the 70D, but right now the 5DMKIII and 7DMKII are on my short list. If the 7DMKII is what it reasonably should be expected to be, I may be switching camps as well.

I've been selling off "good" glass in anticipation of this, and am down to an 18-200, 17-50 f2.8 Tamron, 50 1.8g, and two 80-200 f2.8's. Everything else has been sold, so it won't be too painful a move if/when I pull the trigger. I'm still hoping Nikon pulls something out of the hat having shot Nikon since the mid to late 1970's (except for a brief stint with an Oly E-1). Canon never really "fit" me as well as Nikon, but with the way this has been going the last few years, I'll learn.

Good grief, the angst on this thread is painful to read. Only a few days ago (before NX-D beta was released) people were singing the praises of the D7100 to prospective buyers and eagerly awaiting the D7200 or D400. Now it appears that people were actually quietly selling off all their Nikon stuff because they were really just totally fed up with Nikon's behavior. Now NX-D (i.e., SilkyPix N) comes along and reinforces the impression of Nikon cluelessness amongst the cognoscenti and all of a sudden the stalwarts are outtahere. Really?

I have never liked Nikon's "chains of encryption" approach to photo workflow. I bought and used NX2 until LR got good enough with V4 to supplant it. I agree that Adobe hasn't nailed a Nikon RAW codec emulation like it has Canon, and it annoys me. Had Canon offered a properly sized camera like the D80 at the time I went digital in 2006, I probably still would be with Canon. But at that time, the system advantage was clearly Nikon's.

Nikon still makes dang good cameras and lenses. They've just played out the locked-down-workflow strategy far far too long, and their concept of workflow itself is laughable and archaic. I don't know if it justifies a wholesale switch of physical equipment, however, unless you're moving into video or downsizing to mirrorless ILC.

Couldn't have said it any better myself...

Thom Hogan's column this morning on dlsrbodies.com,

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/looking-at-strategies-in.html

is a very good summary of the situation in which Nikon has placed itself. It's time for them to drop the pretense of being a photoprocessing workflow provider and to offer their secret sauce up as a plug-in to the clearly superior 3rd party workflow products that have taken over the market. There is no longer a revenue stream to be exploited with a proprietary editing program. Nikon's continued success is becoming more dependent upon how well they play with others now that superb quality capture equipment is commonplace. Cameras are no longer isolated tools in a languid production flow, and customer will not long tolerate diva-ism. To quote Thom:

The correct strategy all along was: (1) make sure every software provider and company supporting digital imaging could get the best possible results out of Nikon data; (2) if you want to create for-sale software make sure it continues to fit into the best existing workflow, not change the workflow; (3) find a way to let customers and potential customers dictate look to Nikon, not Nikon dictate look to customers; and (4) build an imaging system that is user configurable and doesn’t require engineers in Tokyo to implement even modest changes (e.g. the D2XMODE Picture Controls).

I have to admit that I am not considering another Nikon DSLR product, nor am I considering another Nikon ILC lens product, at this time. But I've got most all of what I would want in DX, and FX is not on the want list. My next purchase will be a downsized travel system. If Nikon offers it, I might buy it. But I will be checking Nikon's competitors very seriously. I don't really care at this point if NX2 lives or dies. LR works well enough for me. But I do worry about whether Nikon has jumped the shark.

herbymel's gear list:herbymel's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow