Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 19,000
Re: It depends on size, imo

D Cox wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

I use the V700 and the fluid mount station for MF and 4x5. It is capable of a true resolution of around 2400 ppi. I found that chromes from my RB67 can be printed at 16x20 and even 24x30 and look superb. Any prints at 16x20 and below will be just fine from the V700. For those shots where I am producing large prints, I spend the money on a drum scan....I get it back and then some from the first print sale....so it is hardly an issue.

And do you find the drum scans are very much better, or just a little bit better ?

I agree 2400 is about the maximum resolution. I tend to scan film at 3200 to be sure of getting that 2400.

The resolution difference isnt huge. What is better is the fact that with the Aztek Premier used to scan my stuff, it is sharp right out of scanner. The V700 needs a lot of sharpening to get close. The DMax of the drum is better....but that only matters on chromes. The drum also allows for a micron mask to reduce apparent grain. That said, the fluid mount on my V700 reduces grain a fair bit as well....not that there is much on 120 or 4x5 to start.

For 120 or 4x5, the V700 gets closer to the Imacon series than many would like to admit. I've had 120 Astia scans done on both that in a16x20 where impossible to tell apart.

It seems Basilite likes to rush in to these threads without really having any experience with the stuff.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow