Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
The Incredible Hoke
The Incredible Hoke Contributing Member • Posts: 894
Re: Fine art photography

Jaberwok wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

hoakin1981 wrote:

Basically what the title says. I have recently started venturing in the world of film based photography which I find really intriguing. Started with 35mm but apparently the old medium format is the way to go. In this respect "giants" like the Pentax 645 or the Mamiya equivalent seem to be the more suggested options.

I like what I can find online for them and surprisingly their prices are also quite affordable. Almost too good to be true, but not based on the actual item for sale, but mainly because people seem to want to get rid of them. This is what worries me.

High-end art galleries, when they exhibit photography, typically like film — especially very large prints with an exceptional amount of detail, like you find with medium format cameras and larger.

This has more of the old-school craft about it — in fact, the more hand-made the photo, the better.

Serious art buyers often want something that is unique and irreplaceable, something that can’t be duplicated. For this reason, hand-made photo papers, and hand-coated emulsions are highly desired, as well as alternative processes such as the platinotype.

http://www.alternativephotography.com

While film is almost completely gone as a casual consumer medium, I think that it might have a long future as a fine-arts medium.

Preaching heresy on that one my friend. Don't you 'understand' that the D800 outperforms 5x4 & 10x8 sheet film? At least in fantasy.

Actually I've already been chastised for bringing 8x10 film into the discussion. My 12,000px wide (1200dpi) 8x10 scans and even my 32,000px wide (3200dpi) wide 8x10 scans have been dismissed by the argument police on past threads. You can only include film formats that allow the D800 to compete.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow