Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Questions thread
Daro31 Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

It seems that there are lots of opinions on this, probably mostly from people that have never actually, been through the film world, on to digital and then actually got out the medium format cameras again.

I loved medium and large format cameras, but I think some of the romance of it was the anticipation of waiting for the film to get developed. I always developed my own and it is very tense after you are sure you have gotten a great shot to do a preliminary rinse after the fix and then unroll the negatives to see if you got what you thought. Back in those days when you had your own darkroom it was like having 1 hour service.

The next part that makes it romantic kind of was the darkroom work, I have spent many nights in the soft glow of the safe-light with some great music on and waited patiently for the image to show up in the developer and then decide on what to dodge and burn; or if another grade of paper would make a better image.

Every one here is talking about shooting with the big camera and developing the film and then getting it into a computer which I suggest defeats the purpose of the big film experience. Once you get your negative into a digital file you are back into the world of computers.

I am adding an image here that I took on Vericolor Professional film with my RB67 Pro-s Camera in the 1980's I made several 30 x 40 inch prints of it and they actually hung in the window of the local Pepsi plant. Recently I scanned it with my Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner from the negative. The file size is a 144 megabyte tiff. It took about 20 minutes to scan.  The scan actually shows more imperfections in the can then the print ever did, but I was able to touch it up in Photoshop.

Scan from 6x7 Colour Negative

Print coming out of Homemade  light safe rocker tank, notice tests hanging on line.

First 30 x 40 Colour Print done in my homemade colour processor

So I would say go for it is your romance to try out the larger format film cameras and I to look at the prices of equipment now and think I could have every camera I ever lusted after for what I have tied up in digital and computers. However unless you take the whole road including a darkroom you are only trying a very little piece of the medium format world.

Daro31's gear list:Daro31's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow