Is it crazy to consider leaving my D800 at home while I travel

Started Feb 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
ne beginner Senior Member • Posts: 2,147
Is it worth the risk?

While I can understand wanting to bring along your best gear, I would balance weight as well as safety. There are all too many people out there who will note your D800 and a big lens, and want to relieve you of that, especially a tourist in remote locations.

You mentioned your sweet spot is between 24 and 85. Some have suggested the D800 is overkill for vacation. Not sure if this an option, but have you considered:

1. Pick up a 24-85 VR for $300. Take just that and one fast prime for low light. The 24-85 will get you the same results has the 24-120, at considerably less weight, and 1/4 the value in case something happens to it. It is much less conspicuous than its bigger brother too.

2. Get a refurbed or used D600 to go with the above. The D600 has the second best sensor on the market, just a hair behind the D800. It's smaller, lighter, and a little less conspicuous. And if you can get one for a deal, less risk in case something happens.

I'm early 50's, and recently sold my D800 and big f2.8 zooms. Replaced with a D600, the 24-85 for daytime and good light, and the 3 f1.8G primes. Recently sold the 24-85 for a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. This is a light vacation and everyday walk around kit. I can pop the 28-75 on for the day, outdoors all the way to low light, and put a prime in my pocket. When I want the best images, I use the primes.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow